The Dayton Section
The beginnings of the Dayton Section date back to
1929. The first official Chair of the Section was Dr. C.A.
Thomas, who served from 1931-1932. Our current membership
exceeds 500, covering the counties of Montgomery, Greene, Miami,
Clarke, Preble, and Darke. Section meetings, featuring
national and local speakers, are held monthly (except during the
summer) and include a local poster session. In addition, our
last meeting of the year honors our 50-year members.
The Section has a long history of administering local philanthropy:
The Patterson High School Chemistry Awards go to winners of the Patterson
Chemistry Competition, which consists of two stages: examination and
essay. First, second, and third prizes are $1000, $750,
and $500, respectively. In addition, the essayists not placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd will be awarded $100. Originally established by Charles A. Thomas and Carroll A.
Hochwalt, former Dayton chemists and Monsanto researchers, the top
chemistry students in the area have been recognized since 1943.
In 1990, the family of the late Austin M. Patterson, also a
prominent Dayton chemist, assumed sponsorship
Recipients of the Patterson College Chemistry Awards are chosen by the faculty
of each of the colleges and universities within the Dayton Section
from their outstanding juniors using the general criteria of
scholarship, character, extra-curricula involvement, and potential
for success after college. Winners receive a certificate of
recognition and a check for $400.
The Patterson-Crane Award was originally established in 1949 as the
Austin M. Patterson Award to acknowledge meritorious contributions
to chemical literature and documentation of chemistry. Dr.
Patterson was the first recipient for his work as editor of Chemical
Abstracts from 1909-1914. The biennial award was expanded in
1975 to honor another Chemical Abstracts editor (1915-1958) and 1953
award recipient, E.J. Crane. The award, which includes a $3000
honorarium, is now funded by a bequest of the Patterson family, by
the Helen G. Crane Fund of the Columbus Foundation, and by the
Patterson-Crane Award Fund of the Dayton and Columbus Sections.
The Dayton Section also contributes funds and judges for the West
District Science Fair.